Friday, April 10, 2009

Seen On My Corner



In my room I have two windows. One of which is just above my bed. This is where I do most of my thinking, people watching, reading, drinking wine and smoking cigarettes.

In the past few days I have seen some remarkable things out of my window.

The first of which I didn't get a picture of it (damn!) so I will have to just tell you about it.

It was late and this guy stumbling down the street had obviously been drinking for a while. In one hand he carried a brown bag with no doubt a 40 inside. In the other hand he carried a chair I assume he picked up from the community dumping spot just up the way. At first I thought he might have thought the chair a good find and was taking it home. I soon saw that instead he was periodically using it as his personal resting place. He would stumble along for a while then get tired, place the chair wherever he happened to stop, sit down and start chugging more of the 40. With some swearing he got back onto his feat and proceeded to stumble on his way. Priceless!

The second remarkable thing I've seen in the past few days happened this afternoon. It is good Friday and it seems that the local Catholic organization took it upon themselves to have a parade down our street. Hundreds of people singing hymns and a loud speaker mounted on top of a four dour sedan blaring out scripture inbetween the songs. I'm guessing at some of this as it was all in Spanish, but I don't think I'm far off.
The pics above are of the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment