Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Welcome Friend In NY

Visiting NC over Christmas was wonderful. Seeing friends and family, going out to comfortable bars and restaurants I know so well was just that - comfortable.

But I didn't move to NY to be comfortable. I moved to New York to experience new things. To explore and find things that inspire, make me want to do and be more.

On major complaint about being in NY so far though - I haven't had enough friends to share it with.

This weekend I have been treated to something I hoped would happen and I've been waiting for. A friend came up to share New York with me :)

Danielle Anthony is a fabulous photographer and great friend and this weekend she let me drag her around through the cold to see some of the sights and sounds that I have come to love so much.

Danielle Anthony reading up on the latest New York has to offer.

Danielle at work -


Thursday night Danielle's friend Jerry took us to the beautiful restaurant he works at called Tabla. We were treated like queens and enjoyed every minute of it :)
Really, everyone was so nice to us and the food was wonderful. After several courses - a tasting menu really - and a few glasses of wine, we were ready for our long subway ride home and honestly bed.

Friday I was in training all day (got my wings so I'm official to fly now - but I'l blog about that later) so Danielle got to hang out with her friend Jerry again. That night when I got home she had made friends with my roommate Jess - amazingly the girl come to town and has more people than I do :)

Saturday was the whirlwind tour of NYC - Broadway, Chinatown, and basically anywhere inbetween we could get our hands on.

We started the day by taking Danielle to Bumble and Bumble for a hair cut. Not just any salon - of course it wouldn't be, it is B&B in NYC! - the 8th floor is the waiting area - a full cafe free of charge, cushy sofa, and mod chairs to louge in all looking over the most beautiful view of the city.

Danielle went off for her tranformation and happily kicked back in the most beautiful sloaped lounge chair. Delicious!

Next on the list of fabulous treats Saturday brought us was a shop called Soapology. I'd been wanting to get this body scrub with olive oil to hopefully help my skin out with this amazing winter weather. On seeing the shop I remembered another shop I had been to that does this hand washing deal that leaves your hands feeling like heaven. Dragging Danielle behind me, we entered the white, homey, but modern shop and found ourselves greeted by a lovely sales lady, ready to pamper our red, dry cold hands with all sorts of oils and scrubs.

Again, delightful experience. We left the store with two things - coffee and vanilla body scrub for me and a Verbena perfume for Danielle. What a lovely shop and a fun shopping experience :)

Pizza - had to get some food and how could I let Danielle come to NY without getting a slice of the good stuff? We ducked into a tiny little pizza joint around the corner from Soapology, and found, much to our surprise that it seemed we had come to the right place. It was empty upon entering, but soon after filled up with hungry locals all there for a slice of cheesy grease :)

Much to my delight, Danielle was inspired to take a few shots of me holding the pizza - I'll be looking out for those shots on her flickr page or her blog - www.danielleanthony.com

Being the trooper that she is - Danielle agreed to come with me to a dinner party on Saturday night. I found this group called Lightbulb Oven that meets for a monthly dinner where Sara - the amazing chef that she is - creates morsels of goodness based on the theme of her choice.

Saturday's menu was themed around Carrots. Beat Salad with a warm goat cheese pillow and tangerines, a cauliflower soup with a lot of cream and a bit of spice, a rabbit pasta finished off with a small round delicious carrot cake with toasted carrot shavings on top. Divine!

The company we found at this dinner was as wonderful as each original dish. It was almost too good to be true - a great old friend in town and new friends to share such a warm dinner on such a freezing cold night. Loved it!

After a slightly scary cab ride home, we tucked into our beds as if they were the most welcome thing in the world.

Upon waking, we discovered that we were still a bit tired and that the weather, while a bit warmer, was still quite cold. In short we were a bit lazy.

To not entirely waste the day - we decided that we should at least walk around a shoot for a while. Here are some of the shots I captured in Kew Gardens, just up the street from my place...



Great shots and beautiful company.
Want to see her pics from NY? Follow this link - you won't regret it! http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielleanthony/sets/72157612769781580/

We finished the day off with a cup of coffee at the local cafe where Danielle met up with a "true New Yorker" and had a chat. Something I think she was tickled pink by :)

After a few drinks at the local - we tucked in for bed again.

This morning I reluctantly took Danielle to catch her flight from JFK. She will be missed, but what a great weekend we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment